Here we go again. This time with my first Icelandic recipe. And it’s a sweet one. Although I am not in to desserts that much, this cake is too easy and delicious to leave it out.
“The easiest cake in the world” (Einar, the Volcano Huts chef in Þórsmörk)
Einar, the chef of Volcano Huts, is sure this might be the easiest cake in the world. I agree with him. It is actually so easy-peasy that even kids can prepare it. When Einar was introduced to this recipe he also was a child! It doesn’t take you more than 20 minutes. All our guests praised it when they left today. So, I simply have to share it with you.
Choose some sort of cookies with chocolate on one side. And if you are not able to find some traditional Icelandic skyr you can mix lowfat quark with semi-skimmed milk to make it smooth. Recently skyr gained a lot of popularity worldwide due to its high level of protein, but at the same time low level of fat (almost 0%). Only a couple of years back, you almost unable to find it anywhere outside of Iceland or the Scandinavian countries like Denmark or Sweden, but nowadays it is way more likely you will be in luck and find it in your local supermarket.
- 500 g Icelandic Skyr
- 500 ml whipped cream
- 2 x packs of biscuits
- 50 g butter
- If you like the old fashioned way you can melt the butter in a water bath. But if you like it to speed it up you can melt in a pan or a pot.
- Crush and cut the cookies with a sharp knife into small pieces. After that take a cake tin and put the crushed cookies on the bottom of it. So they will be the cake base.
- Pour the melted butter over the cookies and leave it for a while so it can cool down and mash together.
- Now mix together the Skyr and the whipped cream. To speed it up even more, you can actually simply pour in the cream without whipping it. But then it isn’t that fluffy.
- Add the Vanilla flavour. I leave it up to you if you want to use real Vanilla bean or just some artifical vanilla aroma.
- Put the Skyr/cream mixture on top of the biscuits and smooth the top.
- Put some jam on top. I prefer red one as it looks so nice at the white Skyr. Add some berries of your choice or those ones which are available at the moment.
Verði þér að góðu!